With the help of modern phones, it is possible to create excellent photos, not inferior in quality to those taken with full-fledged cameras. But there are two conditions: initially, good optics and the right settings. So today, we will tell you how to adjust the camera on Xiaomi and Redmi yourself, using a minimum amount of time and skills.
5 reasons why the camera shoots poorly
To begin with, let’s identify the situations that cause the deterioration of the camera performance. And also give the most simple methods of solving the problem.
In 50% of cases, the camera starts shooting badly because of defects in the “stuffing” of the device. This can be a crooked version of firmware, a failed upgrade, or improper use of root rights. It is not possible to fix the problem mechanically.
Solution: if, after the self-made update, your camera stopped taking pictures or the quality of pictures is considerably worse, it is recommended to roll back to the previous version. But before rolling back, read about the anti-cancel mechanism!
Don’t want to resort to drastic methods such as reflashing? Try just resetting your smartphone to factory settings. A full wipe done via Recovery will also work.
If the official update arrived “by air” and the problems with the camera are insignificant, it is better to wait for the next version. The developers will fix it in the next update. It is not recommended to take any independent actions in this situation.
Scratched anti-reflective coating
The camera module is protected by an anti-reflective coating which may become scratched. This results in cloudy photos, and the autofocus may not work. Fortunately, scratches can be quickly removed at home.
The solution: You need a cotton swab + alcohol or a piece of cotton cloth + toothpaste. Apply the product to the cotton swab or cloth, and wipe the camera with a quick motion. Small scratches should disappear right away.
The alcohol will wipe off the antireflective coating, so be prepared for that.
If the module is seriously damaged, you will receive an error message when you enter the Camera app. You will not be able to take pictures. A critical error that says you can’t connect to the camera is often due to a broken module or moisture. But there are also software reasons.
Solution: If your mobile device has fallen into the water and the camera does not work after that, read our instructions and urgently remove the moisture. If the camera is broken, it is better to contact a service center.
No mechanical damage? Then download the full firmware. After installing it, the camera error disappears.
- Visit “Settings” – “About device” – “Update”.
- Click on the triple dot in the upper right corner and select “Install full firmware”.
When the camera lens is shifted, photos are cloudy and lack sharpness and contrast. This happens most often after physical damage.
Solution: To avoid further problems, contact a specialized technician. He will solve all mechanical problems.
Incorrect camera settings
If the pictures are of poor quality and the resolution of the optics is high, the camera settings are incorrect. The camera may be over-sharpened, but the brightness is almost zero, and the white balance and aspect ratio may be incorrect.
Solution: this article will help you fully adjust the main and front cameras. The user will set the parameters necessary for high-quality photos by reading the following points.
How to properly configure the camera on the phone Xiaomi and Redmi
Now let’s get down to practice. Below are specific instructions, diagrams, and recommendations, following which you can achieve excellent pictures.
Restoring the default settings of the camera
To begin with, let’s make a general adjustment, affecting only the main parameters. This can be done in two places:
- Visit “Settings”, where we select “System applications”. Click on the tab with the camera. A list of all settings opens.
- Go straight into the Camera app – Modes. Click on the gear in the upper right corner.
- Under “Picture Quality” select “High“. This will not compress the photo, increasing its brightness and detail.
- Such parameters as contrast, saturation, and sharpness require separate testing by the user. Only you can choose the ideal setting for these elements based on the quality of the display and personal preferences. The medium level is considered optimal.
- Particular attention should be paid to the “Exposure Mode”. Averaging, center-weighted and spot metering are available to choose from. The average metering distributes the brightness of the frame evenly. With center-weighted mode, the brightness is distributed in the center of the image with smooth fading to the edges. If you select Spot mode, the brightness will capture 1-5% of the matrix of the total image.
These are quite complex and subtle settings. A non-professional photographer will be fine with either spot or center-weighted metering.
If you want to automatically restore the default settings, go to: “Camera” – “Settings” – “Restore settings”.
Setting up the main camera
Set the above three items, and proceed to more in-depth settings. An experienced user can select “Manual mode” and set the ISO level, white balance, and shutter speed.
Setting the ISO is a painstaking process that needs to be adjusted for each photo and light condition. For example, the ISO needs to be lowered in sunny weather and in a well-lit room. On the contrary, if you take a photo under low light conditions, set this parameter to maximum values. The picture will be a bit blurry, but it will be free of “noise”.
The shutter speed also directly affects the quality. If you shutter the camera momentarily, the picture will be more detailed. A strong light flux enters the frame if the picture is delayed for a few seconds. As a result, the picture is of high quality but with reduced detail.
Unfortunately, you cannot adjust the shutter speed yourself. It equates to a system procedure. Accordingly, you need access to the system files.
The white balance is in “Auto” mode by default, but the user can choose an individual value. Again, the light conditions, location, and several objects in the picture must be considered. The picture should not be ginger or bleached – this indicates perfect balance.
A less important parameter is “Flicker”. This mode helps to take pictures of very bright objects, such as light bulbs, lanterns, and sun reflections. The default setting is “50 Hz”. It is advisable to set it to “Auto”.
Setting up the front camera for selfies
For the front camera, the same settings as for the main camera will do. You should also pay attention to Beauty-mode. This is a special addition to quality selfies. It allows you to hide flaws on the skin, make the look brighter, and make the facial features expressive.
Owners of phones with dual cameras will benefit from the portrait mode. Activating it will blur the background. Only the subject in the foreground will be clear.
How to activate the flash for photos
On Xiaomi and Redmi phones, the flash is very easy to turn on:
- Visit the Camera app ;
- In the upper left corner, click on the image of a lightning bolt;
- Several modes will pop up. “Off ” – the flash is off; “On ” – the flash is always on. ” Auto ” – the camera determines the conditions for which the illumination is necessary. “Background ” – the camera turns on as a flashlight, allowing you to illuminate specific objects in real-time and take photos simultaneously.
Choosing the aspect ratio
There are two options: 4:3 – normal aspect ratio and 16:9 – widescreen. The normal one captures the entire matrix. For example, the main camera is 48 megapixels. The image will be obtained with this resolution.
With a widescreen, the camera ignores the top and bottom edges of the picture. This is ideal for viewing photos on a computer or laptop monitor. Also, 16:9 resolution is suitable for modern phones with a drop neckline or monobrow.
To determine which aspect ratio is right for your device, take a picture with two options. Review the finished photo on your phone and computer.
Setting up your camera to take a video
You need to choose the right quality to get vivid and detailed videos. The choices are:
- SD is the worst option. It is recommended to resort to it only for shooting long videos when there is a lack of memory. Frame resolution: 640×240 px (minimum), 720×576 px (maximum).
- HD is the average indicator. An acceptable image and a small file size characterize it. This is the maximum for outdated low-cost phones. The resolution of a frame: is 1280×720 px.
- Full HD is the most optimal quality. It can shoot the majority of modern smartphones of the entry and average level. Frame Resolution: 1920×1080 px.
- 4K is the best indicator. Videos are of excellent quality but take up a lot of space in the storage device. Shoot in 4K, mainly flagships. Frame resolution: 4096×2160 px.
We recommend choosing Full HD. You will get quality videos with good contrast, saturation, and brightness. At the same time, it will not take up all free space on your smartphone.
In focus mode, we specify CAF. It’s autofocus, suitable in most cases. If you plan to shoot in low light with bright elements (such as a flashlight), set the focus to focus by touch. Otherwise, the focus will switch to the brightest objects, ignoring the center subjects.
Don’t forget about stabilization. Many Xiaomi and Redmi phones lack it. So use a tripod to get a smooth picture.
Rules for using a phone with a double/triple camera
There are no differences here. A dual or triple camera is set up in the same way as a single camera. Only in the end, the user gets a better photo due to several sensors. Namely: there is a professional background blur, the viewing angle increases, and the depth of the scene improves.
How to improve the quality of images
In addition to the standard settings, the following recommendations should be followed:
- Shoot only in good light conditions. Choose sunny days to shoot outdoors. If you want high-quality photos indoors, use good artificial lighting.
- Don’t forget about stabilization. Sharp movements when taking pictures cause blurred images. Can’t buy a monopod or tripod? Then very slowly rotate your phone when you record the video. Be sure to rest your elbows on a hard surface.
- Initially, buy smartphones with good optics. If you are considering a phone with a full-fledged camera, only the flagship models suit you. You shouldn’t expect great photos from a budget phone.
Google Pixel 2 Camera (APK)
To improve photo quality, you can try third-party camera apps. For example, Google Pixel 2. This software is downloaded from third-party services. The XDA Developers site is ideal for downloading.
- You download the application in an apk-file;
- Install in the standard way;
- Set up the camera, following the prompts on the screen.
A great alternative is Google Camera. A separate article explains how and where to download the application, how to set up Google Camera, and for what purposes it is suitable. Follow the link above and get acquainted with the useful material!
How do I set the photo timer?
Visit the Camera app and go to Modes. There you will see the Timer tab. Specify the time interval after which the picture will be taken. You can select from 3 to 10 seconds.
How do I mute the camera shutter?
There are two ways to do this: enable silent mode or deactivate the shutter sound. To implement the second method, visit Camera – Modes – Settings. Uncheck the Shutter Sound checkbox.
What is AI in the phone camera?
AI is artificial intelligence that improves photo quality. It also helps to adjust the picture under certain conditions. For example, it activates the night mode.
Why does a smartphone need two cameras?
If the second camera has very weak optics (about 2 megapixels), it is only used to create a bokeh effect and increase the scene’s depth. But most modern smartphones have two and three cameras to improve photo quality.
After reading this article, you learned how to properly and quickly set up the camera on Xiaomi and Redmi phones. If you follow the above tips and stick to the optimal settings scheme, the photos will always turn out good, even if the camera resolution of the budget phone is at an average level.