Xiaomi and Redmi phones run the proprietary firmware MIUI. To install a new version of MIUI, there is a special program called MiFlash. This utility is necessary if you want to reflash through Fastboot or EDL. In addition, it is a real salvation for phones that “bricked” due to a system malfunction. Today we’ll tell you how to install and use Mi Flash correctly.
What is this program and what is it for
MiFlash (MIUI ROM Flashing Tool) is a program designed to flash Xiaomi smartphones and tablets using Fastboot mode. The tool is also suitable for interacting with the Emergency Download Mode software project.
So, what could be the indications for reflashing a mobile device:
- You bought a Chinese version of the device and want to install a global shell (be careful, there is a risk of “bricking”).
- You have the Global Version but need a more recent version of MIUI.
- You want to install custom or Indonesian firmware (for example, to record phone calls).
- The smartphone does not turn on due to boot loop or “bricking”.
- Serious system problems make it impossible to use the device normally. This includes frequent application crashes, a spontaneous device reboot, virus infection, etc.
- Rollback to previous builds. Before installing an earlier version, please read our article on Anti-RollBack to avoid unpleasant problems with your phone.
Now you roughly understand in which situations you may need to manually flash Xiaomi via PC. There is also an alternative method with the help of custom recovers, for which the Mi Flash program is not needed.
What you need for flashing
Do not rush immediately to install the utility and install the new shell. You need to prepare well and download certain materials. We will need the following:
- A computer running Windows 7, 8, 8.1, or 10 (the operating system Ubuntu is also suitable, but there you need to do completely different things).
- Xiaomi phone on Qualcomm Snapdragon processor. Devices running MTK are sewn through special programs, Xiaomi SP FlashTool or Mi Flash Pro.
- Drivers for smartphone recognition by the computer. They are usually installed automatically as soon as the user connects the phone to the PC via USB. You don’t need to install special drivers for MiFlash: the utility will download them by itself.
- MiFlash program. You can download it from any reliable source, such as the forum XDA Developers. It is desirable to download the latest version if it works correctly.
- Firmware file with “.tgz” extension for Fastboot. We recommend downloading it from the official site. Choose the build for your phone model carefully.
- USB cable for connection to PC. Use the factory cable that came with the phone.
Tips and tricks
|Preparing Procedures||Common Troubleshooting|
|Be sure to charge your smartphone to 50-60% before you start flashing. If the phone shuts down during the operation, you can get a “brick”.||Flashing via Fastboot requires an active bootloader. A locked bootloader can be used only via EDL or TestPoint.|
|As mentioned above, the standard MiFlash version will not flash MTK-based devices. Therefore, we advise owners of such devices to install MiFlash Pro, which works with MediaTek and Snapdragon.||Your computer can’t see your phone when connected? It means that the necessary drivers are missing. You will have to install them manually if they are not installed automatically. Download ADB Driver from a reliable source and install it the standard way. And, of course, make sure that USB debugging is enabled.|
|Disable driver digital signature verification in Windows settings. MiFlash installs its drivers, which may conflict with the factory drivers, so turn off verification immediately.||While the reflashing procedure, you cannot disconnect/reboot the phone and PC. Also, you are not allowed to take the cable out of the USB slot. If there is an unforeseen situation, for example, the power was cut, try to fix the problem as soon as possible and turn the device on again.|
How to install MiFlash on your computer
Let’s proceed to the practical part. Below is a detailed instruction on installing the program on your PC. Pay attention that all processes are described with the purpose of familiarization. The author of this article and the site administration is not responsible for what you have done!
How and where to download
As an example, let’s consider downloading from xiaomiflash.com. For simplicity, at the end of this paragraph will be 2 direct links to download the installation and ready variants of Xiaomi Flash different versions.
- Click on the big “Download“ button.
- We are thrown to the bottom of the page, where we again click “Download Xiaomi Flash“.
- A list of available versions opens. Choose the most current version, against which there is an orange inscription “Latest version“. If the latest version does not work, try downloading earlier versions, for example, 2017.
- You can watch the download process in the upper right corner of the screen. Do not hurry to open the archive and install the utility after downloading because you still need to configure the drivers.
The latest version is from 2018.11.15
This is a ready-made archive with the MiFlash program already installed. You need to download it from the Google Drive cloud and unzip it with any archiver (in Windows 10, you can do it with the system function), such as 7-Zip. We recommend moving the folder with the files to the root of the system drive(example: C:XiaoMiFlash).
Version of 2017.04.25
This is already an archive with a .exe installation file. You need to unzip it and install it. Choose only the Windows system partition(almost always the C drive) as the installation location.
Disabling the driver’s digital signature
Disabling the digital signature verification of drivers is quite easy. To do this, hold down the Shift key on your keyboard and select restart your computer via “Start”.
- A special window loads, where you select the second tab, “Troubleshooting”.
- In the “Troubleshooting” section, open additional options.
- Click on the item “Boot parameters”.
- Restart the computer and disable the mandatory driver signature verification by following the instructions on the screen.
Launching the program
Here we have to watch carefully: if you downloaded the archive from xiaomiflash.com or our link version 20170425 – then follow the instructions; if you have downloaded the ready-made archive 20181115 from our link, you need to unpack it – then skip the first 2 steps.
- Go back to the downloaded archive. Unpack the contents to drive C.
- Open the file with an “exe” extension, point to drive C, and click “Next. Wait for the utility to install.
- Run the program from the desktop (or its location in the folder) by clicking on the shortcut XiaoMiFlash.exe.
After opening the program, you need to install the drivers. You can do this in several ways: through the program itself, in versions 2017 and above, such functionality is built in, or put them directly through the universal installer.
After installing all the necessary drivers, restart your computer. This will help avoid 90% of errors related to the detection of the device.
Downloading FastBoot firmware
The link to the official page with the latest firmware versions for Mi Flash for all Xiaomi models is c.mi.com.
Do not confuse the usual archive with the firmware for the smartphone update menu, which can be downloaded from Mi Community under Download with this one. The right archive will have a .TGZ extension and must be unpacked several times.
The archive with the firmware should also be unpacked to the system drive to any created folder with a short name consisting of Latin letters.
Connecting smartphone/tablet to PC
First, you must put the phone into the Fastboot mode and then connect it to the PC. Otherwise, you’ll see a window with the word “error”.
- Switch the device off, wait about a minute, and press the power and volume down buttons. You will see a black screen with a picture of a rabbit in a fur cap repairing an Android robot.
- Now you can connect the mobile device to your computer/notebook. Take the factory cable and plug it into the USB 2.0 port (USB 3.0 and above sometimes shows an error) on the PC.
- To check if the connection is correct, you must run MiFlash again. Press “Refresh” button, and if everything is ok – the code of the connected device will be displayed in “device” field (see example on screenshot).
Flashing Xiaomi via MiFlash
- Launch the utility if it’s not already running.
- Using the “Select“ button specify the path to the firmware files.
- Using the “Refresh“ update the list of connected devices.
- At the bottom, specify the complete or partial deletion of files from the device. For normal firmware, choose “Clean All”.
- When everything is ready, press “Flash“.
- Flashing usually takes about 10 minutes. Success will be indicated by “Success” in the “Result” line.
- At the end of the process, the cable can be disconnected. The first booting of the device into the system takes longer than usual, be patient.
You should not disconnect the handset from the PC during this interval or perform any actions. If the phone takes too long to flash (more than an hour), you should think about whether you’ve done all the actions correctly, and if necessary, refer to the comments under the relevant articles on our website or videos.
Comparison of MiFlash with MiFlashPro
|Feature of the program||Mi Flash||Mi Flash Pro|
|MTK and Snapdragon firmware||Snapdragon only||Snapdragon and MediaTek|
|Firmware file||You have to search for it and download it by yourself||There is firmware in the program itself, which can be downloaded to your computer|
|No need to flash files via Recovery without unlocking the bootloader||No||Yes|
|Phone model information||No||Yes|
|Phone recovery for forgotten password/graphic key||No||Yes|
MiFlashPro has more advanced functionality than the standard version. This program is perfect for experienced users or those who have serious problems with the device, for example, forgetting the password and can’t to restore access. It’s also possible to flash a phone with a locked bootloader using the recovers.
The most important advantage of flashing MediaTek-based smartphones. No need to install SP FlashTool separately.
Using the Pro version is a little more difficult because of the many tools. If you need to flash your smartphone to Snapdragon with an unlocked bootloader – the standard Mi Flash utility is quite enough.
Does Mi Flash work on other platforms?”
The program focuses mainly on Windows but can also function with the Linux operating system by introducing commands. It is not suitable for MacOS.
What to do if the bootloader is locked?
There are several ways to solve the problem. First, you can unlock the bootloader (for experienced users). Secondly, you can install a new shell via EDL mode. And thirdly, use the option of flashing through the recovery in MiFlash Pro.
Will the warranty come off if I flash a new smartphone via MiFlash?
Yes, any serious system procedures will lead to the deactivation of the warranty. It is better to contact a technician if you notice any mobile device malfunction.
We discussed how to flash Xiaomi and Redmi phones via Xiaomi Flash, as well as told in detail about this program. If you have any questions related to this utility – write in the comments or in our social networks!