Xiaomi phones have excellent support from the manufacturer, and with enviable frequency, they get new software versions. The most convenient option to update is to download the firmware “by air”, but it is not always possible. So you need to find where you can download the firmware for Xiaomi.
It would seem that the task at hand is simple, but with selecting the correct firmware, many users have questions that lead to malfunctions. So let’s look into it. For example, let’s take one of the most popular smartphones – the Xiaomi Redmi Note 10.
Step 1: Choosing the right firmware for your model
Please note that you have to download the archive with the firmware from the official English MIUI forum! Always use official releases. Localized or unofficial firmware downloads only from developers’ websites.
- We see a list of all the models of Xiaomi phones. We choose our trial version – Redmi Note 5.
- It takes you to a separate page where you click the big green “Download” button. Some models have multiple tabs. For example, on Mi 12, there are tabs with Global, European, and Indian firmware (the Global version also has MIUI Stable and MIUI Beta).
- Starts downloading the archive. The file size usually varies between 1.5Gb – 2Gb, so it may take a few hours if the Internet is slow.
Step 2: MIUI Stable or MIUI Beta
Inexperienced users, who have recently become familiar with Xiaomi products, are often perplexed: what is the difference between the developer firmware, for example, and global firmware, and global firmware from Chinese firmware? We answered this question in a separate article, but we’ll repeat it here.
The weekly build (also known as the developer’s one) is the first to receive the latest updates every week. The developer has just tested the firmware, which is already available to the user. But there are a lot of disadvantages, especially for newer models: frequent glitches, slowdowns, and some functions may not work. In short, this is still a “raw” version of MIUI.
But the stable build is another matter. The company has tested the shell, removed all the shortcomings, and only then distributes it. But with this firmware, you will get updates much less often than with the developer’s firmware (about once every two months).
Which option is more acceptable for you – decide for yourself, everything is individual. Do you like to experiment and try new things? Then give preference to the development version. Do you like stability? The stable version is for you.
Step 3: Installing the firmware via “Three Dots”
- Transfer the downloaded archive from your computer to your phone.
- On the phone, go to “Settings” and open “About phone” – “Update”.
- Then we see the triple dot icon in the top corner and define the path to the firmware file using the built-in search engine.
- We agree with all the system requirements, and the update procedure begins.
After that firmware version identification will start and phone will reboot into update mode. It may take up to 5 minutes.
Can I update my custom firmware to the global version through Three Dots?
No, it is not allowed by the company. Possible combinations are China – China, Global – Global, and EU – EU.
Does the bootloader need to be unlocked before you update via OTA?
No, the bootloader unlocking is not required.